The Royal Calcutta Turf Club (RCTC), popularly known as the Race Course is a premier horse racing club of Kolkata. In fact, it is one of the best horse racing grounds in India. Built by the British and placed strategically in the heart of the city, it’s a must visit destination for all. It also has a Polo Ground attached to it which is considered to be the best in the country. The race events are held twice in a year beginning from the season of monsoon. Towards the end of the year, the most prestigious events are held with eminent presence from all over the country. Other than being known for sporting events, Kolkata Race Course is also known for its wonderful surroundings and peaceful atmosphere. It is surrounded by the beautiful Elliot Park nearby and Maidan ground (biggest playground in Kolkata). Since its inception, this race course has been maintained by the Royal Turf Club of Calcutta. It’s a major source of entertainment and fun in the city. The illustrious Racecourse of Kolkata, reminds people of the British era and their landmarks in the city. The Racecourse is one of the major attractions of the Kolkata city because it has been a symbol of British rule over two centuries.
Location of Kolkata Race Course
The Race Course ground is situated near Victoria Memorial.
History of Kolkata Race Course
The Race Course was built in 1820 under the Imperial British Administration. Horse Polo being a favorite pastime sport of the British, had therefore naturally found its way into our land. Calcutta (Kolkata) at that time was one of the central seats of British Administration. As the British ruled our land then, they incorporated many of their westernized influences on the city. Apart from being known for their cruelty on the Indians; they were also known to have some developed sense of several amusement and sports which they brought into the city. They organized an elite club known as the Royal Calcutta Turf Club, which looked after the gaming events of the Race Course. Some prestigious races started by them were the Queen Elizabeth Cup & the Calcutta Derby Cup. Many other important and prestigious racing events were also held there from time to time. Apart from horse races, the ground was also used for playing polo.
- The Kolkata Race Course is one of the biggest horse race venues in India.
- Many significant and prestigious events are held here on a regular basis. In fact, the race course is a very popular place amongst the elites of Calcutta.
- In summer, Horse racing events usually start in the month of July and continue till September. While in winter, it starts from November and concludes in March.
- Generally, the races are held on Saturdays and other public holidays.
- Apart from being used for races, the race course is also used for local polo matches.
- The Queen Elizabeth Cup & the Calcutta Derby Cup are coveted events of the Race Course grounds.
- Significant places of interests near the Race course ground are: Victoria Memorial, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Academy of Fine Arts, Fort William, and Calcutta Swimming Club.